The West Coast University (WCU) of Applied Science is situated in Heide, Germany which is in close proximity to the North Sea and the National Park Wadden Sea. Founded in 1993, this young university is equipped with modern facilities and offers a friendly and family-like atmosphere to its students. WCU welcomes international students with open arms and has a fantastic staff to assist students while they are abroad.
The Surrounding Area
Heide is a cozy town with everything you might need within biking distance. Being in northern Germany, Heide's geography allows students opportunities to visit Germany's second largest city, Hamburg, or to take a train into Denmark. Students can also explore the beautiful mud flats of the Wadden Sea, UNESCO World Heritage site!
Academics at WCU are complemented by the broad spectrum of programs and activities available to international students. The WCU International Office is available for support and provides excursions and international events for students to enjoy and meet other students. UNCW students will feel right at home on the welcoming WCU campus.
- Degree-seeking student
- At least sophomore standing at time of participation
- Good judicial standing
- 2.5+ GPA at time of application
- Preference given for Recreation, Sport Leadership and Tourism Management majors
- Must be at least 18 years of age at time of participation
UNCW students have the opportunity to take courses at WCU to fulfill requirements for the UNCW Recreation, Sport Leadership, and Tourism Management program by taking courses in the “International Tourism Management” program or exchange student courses in English. Students also have the opportunity to satisfy language requirements with a beginning German language course.
Students have the option of living in a student dormitory near campus or in private (shared) apartments.
Academic Year Dates
Mid-September to Late July
Spring Semester Dates
Early March to Late July
This program is available as an Exchange program:
- Exchange - This means you pay your regular tuition and fees to UNCW, and your room and board costs abroad.
There will be additional costs for international airfare, passport, visa, health insurance, and local transportation. Please meet with an advisor at the Office of International Programs to discuss which option is best for you.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
Federal and state financial aid may be applied towards this program. Even if you are normally ineligible for financial aid, you should submit a financial aid application (FAFSA). You may find that you are eligible for additional funding.
UNCW students may also apply for a UNCW Education Abroad Grant and additional study abroad scholarships. Grant applications and additional information are available at http://www.uncw.edu/international/abroad/aid.html.
- West Coast Univ. of Applied Sciences: http://en.fh-westkueste.de/home/
- UNCW Office of International Programs: www.uncw.edu/abroad | 910-962-3685
- UNCW Recreation, Sport Leadership, & Tourism Management departmental contact: Alana Seaman, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Want to speak with a student who recently studied here? Reach out to our study abroad ambassadors!
- Contact the education abroad advisor for Germany: Stephanie Leroy (email@example.com) or make an appointment here.
- Contact the education abroad advisor for Germany: Katrena Henderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or make an appointment here.